A virtual coaching program + S.W.A.T. mastermind mentoring circle,
focused on strengthening your leadership skills and accelerating your candidacy for career advanement
Your career is like your baby: you’ve nurtured it and watched it grow. And now it’s time to figure out how to achieve your next step, no matter the individuals, workplace dynamics or office politics in play. For many, the thought of figuring out how to navigate such uncertainty feels so unsettling.
I am here to make the process easier for you.
After over 20 years as a global HR and leadership development executive for Fortune 100 companies, along with having studied over 10K high achieving leaders as part of my research for my book, Lead at the Top of Your Game, I am passionate about sharing with you my learnings about how internal career progression decision-making REALLY works in most organizations!
The Master the Inside Game™ coaching program equips aspiring professionals, like you, to:
- build on what you have already accomplished in order to further grow your career
- increase your acumen in how to better influence the HR and succession planning processes used to identify and promote top employees
- strategize how to increase your impact & influence by infusing the 7 most critical leadership tactics into your daily work activities
- differentiate yourself from your peers in a way that transforms your personal brand into a leadership brand
- better manage key stakeholders’ perceptions of you to accelerate their willingness to advocate for you when you are not in the room
If you are ready to raise the bar and up your leadership game, this development experience is for you!
A bit about S.W.A.T. mentoring circles . . . .
In the everyday world, S.W.A.T. teams are elite, highly disciplined special forces in law enforcement who are trained for laser-focused execution. The S.W.A.T. Mentoring Circle is a unique talent development component that encourages laser-focused discipline on solving urgent problems, using the powers of innovation, group think and execution.
Mentoring circle participants bring to a circle session critical career, job, business or leadership challenges.
They are then guided through a peer mentoring model, based on the foundation of the learning
concept called action learning.
Participants take advantage of the crowd-sourcing of ideas to help each member of the mentoring circle achieve faster success than they could have ever achieved on their own. S.W.A.T. is an acronym for SDL’s proprietary mastermind mentoring model, which stands for:
- STRATEGY– Creating a strategic focus on an urgent problem
- WISDOM – Using collective wisdom and group think to source solution alternatives
- ACTION– Defining a plan of actions and next steps
- TACTICS – Executing the tactics of the action plan, course correcting when needed
Karan Ferrell-Rhodes, CEO of Shockingly Different Leadership, is a certified action learning coach from the World Institute of Action Learning.
Intrigued? Then let’s learn more!
What is the Difference Between Group Coaching & a Mentoring Circle?
Mentoring is a power-free experience where your facilitator and circle members help you to discover your best course of action, based on the insights you and the circle discuss.
Coaching has a set agenda to reinforce or change skills and behaviors. The coach ensures there is an objective or goal for each discussion that relates to skills/behaviors.
Implementing a S.W.A.T. Mentoring Circle is popular for those individuals or organizations wanting to help their people solve an issue or problem in a short amount of time.
Need coaching instead? We can help.
How does a S.W.A.T. Mentoring Circle work?
Circles can be focused on 1 pre-determined topic or each circle member can identify their own topic.
During each mentoring circle session, each member has a time slot to update the circle on:
1. what has happened with their problem since the previous session and
2. what is their new priority for help and assistance.
Both the action learning coach and circle participants help mentor you during your time slot and you return the favor for your fellow circle colleagues.
Participants tell us that they not only benefit from the personal mentoring from so many different perspectives, but they also find extreme value from hearing the challenges and lessons learned by their fellow circle members. The circles, which can be virtual or in-person, are commonly comprised of 4-8 individuals per circle. The mentoring circle experience is approximately 90 minutes per meeting and is spread out over a minimum of 3-6 weeks.
What Does a Typical Mentoring Circle Agenda Look Like?
A MENTORING CIRCLE AGENDA INCLUDES:
- ORIENTATION & CIRCLE MEET & GREET: There will be an orientation with all circle members to allow everyone to meet their action learning coach, introduce themselves, learn the circle process, and be briefed on pre-work required before the first session.
- MENTORING CIRCLE SESSIONS: Circles then will experience weekly or bi-monthly sessions
- Group Q&A SESSION (if more than 1 mentoring circle is established): Question and answer session with the members of ALL the different S.W.A.T. Mentoring Circles who are participating in the program to talk about the experience, best practices, and lessons learned
– S.W.A.T. Mentoring Circle Guidebook & Resource Guide
– Email support between sessions
Want a Crash Course on Action Learning?
See this great video from our colleagues at Sage Ways Consulting
Mentoring Circle Quick Facts
- knowledge sharing is amplified
- team development occurs without a specific team building exercise
- relationships are created and/or strengthened around a common business purpose
- individual and collective leadership capacity is increased
How Participants Benefit
- Will enhance cross-departmental connections
- Will further develop innovation, problem-solving, and execution skills
- Will create a space of trust and rapport amongst colleagues and co-workers
- Will accelerate ability to achieve big, hairly goals, even in the midst of ambiguity
Mentoring circle participants must be committed and dedicated to both doing what it takes to catapult themselves, while also being willing to “pay it forward” by helping the other members in the circle.
We’ve discovered that critical personality qualities of circles members include being: execution-focused, level-headed, patient, adaptable, disciplined, brave, dependable and knowledgeable . . . all with a level of high integrity and follow-through.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch to bring Master the Inside Game to your organization!
How to Bring Master the Inside Game/S.W.A.T. Mentoring Circles to Your Organization
There are multiple ways to enjoy this unique developmental offering:
- Bring this workshop to your organization. Contact us to discuss dates and pricing.
- Register Online for an Open-Enrollment Offering (currently not available)
SDL provides two payment options for your convenience:
Payments may be made by:
1. Credit Card: Both corporate and personal credit cards accepted.
2. Purchase Order/Invoice: SDL will send an invoice directly to you or your company. If a purchase order or registration in your company’s vendor system is required, please contact us at 770-384-1103 or via email.
Public Offering Policies
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy
For open-enrollment Classroom, Live Online, and Webinar programs, participants who can no longer attend may transfer to a future session, send someone to take their place or cancel without penalty at any time up to three weeks prior to the session.
If you provide SDL with less than three weeks notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire program fee.
Privately offered sessions for organizations are bound by the terms of the separately negotiated Statement of Work.
We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and/or your company, and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Therefore, please contact us should you have any additional questions.
Shockingly Different Leadership is a human capital professional services consultancy that provides organizations access to the best consulting expertise in the areas of Talent Development, Organizational Development, and Human Resources – on an on-demand, project, or contract basis.
4480-H South Cobb Drive
Smyrna, GA 30080
2121 NewMarket Parkway
Marietta, GA 30067
Customer Service Email:
Call or Text:
8:30 AM – 6:30 PM
Weekends By Appointment