Using leadership coaching as a tool to gain self-awareness, increase interpersonal skills,
and seamlessly execute big, bold initiatives
Leadership Coaching comes in many forms to meet the development needs of individuals and organizations. Shockingly Different Leadership has over 60 coaches on staff who focus on the three distinct areas of leadership coaching which ultimately strengthen leadership pipelines – Executive Coaching, High-Potential Coaching, and Peer Coaching Groups.
It’s no secret that employees who fall in these three areas are critical to the ongoing achievement of their employer’s business strategy and organizational priorities. However, even high performing individuals who are expected to excel at impact several levels above their current role, sometimes need a confidante and a leadership coach to help them move the needle on their leadership ability and readiness for their next step.
There is an art to coaching exemplary employees, and as one of the only leadership development firms who specialize in our proprietary approach to leadership coaching, this is what we undoubtedly know:
- High performers are extremely knowledgeable, and they play at a level at which most people cannot even envision.
- High performers are passionate, have a bias for action and a track record of success- yet they also are commonly holding back knowledge of what is legitimately possible.
- Despite their success—actually, because of it—doing more of what they’re already doing is not going to lead to their next level of success. People have come to expect the fact that them being “outstanding” is normal for them. A more focused type of leadership coaching is now critical to establish a new baseline of performance, without burning them out. Coaching them on navigating this new baseline could be the key to either retaining them with the organization or seeing them skip out the door for “greener pastures”.
Types of Leadership Coaching Services
Focused on individuals with positions of ultimate accountability and authority over people and resources.
Focused on individuals identified as rising stars or next-generation leaders
Peer Coaching Groups
Focused on coaching conversations and
problem solving in a small group setting.
- Coaching works so well that approximately $3B is spent on it annually.
- Coaching is often combined with a behavioral or 360⁰ assessment, or confidential interviews with those who work with them.
- Conversations are completely confidential between the coach and coachee. If an organization is paying for the coaching services, they may receive periodic status updates (dates, milestones achieved), but nothing else is shared without the coachee’ s permission.
- Coaching can be done in-person, via phone, or via video conference
- Having an opportunity to devote time and energy in their development as leaders
- Having a thought partner to help with highly complex decisions with a wide scope of impact
- Getting unstuck from dilemmas and learning how to transfer their learning back to their team
- Quickly identify and close skill gaps
- Better understand a diversity of perspectives and workplace dynamics
Those who desire:
- Continued development as a stronger leader
- To achieve next level of success
- To develop through being curious, asking insightful questions, taking actions and reflecting on progress
What the Typical Individual Leadership Coaching Process Looks Like
- Intake (professional history review, pre-work, review of coaching process, meet-n-greet)
- Administration of Assessment
- Goal Setting
- Development Planning
- Making Progress on Development Plan & Accountability Check
- Periodic Check-in with Manager
- Post-mortem Review of Progress Against Goals, ROI, and Reflections on the Experience Overall
The coaching engagement is over when the development goal(s) is achieved, or when the coach and/or coachee decides that it should stop. The typical duration of a coaching engagement is seven to 12 months.
What the Typical Peer Coaching Group Process Looks Like
Peer Coaching Groups, which can be virtual or in-person, are commonly comprised of 4-8 individuals per group. The group experience is approximately 90 minutes per meeting and is spread out over a defined period, typically 6-12 months.
Each coaching group session is facilitated by a certified leadership coach. While there are many variations, the coaching group process usually involves:
- Intake (with coach only) [professional history review, pre-work, review of peer coaching group process, identification of initial coaching goals]
- Kick-off Session (group meet-n-greet, reminder of coaching group process, establishing group norms, and start first round of peer coaching)
- Ongoing Group Coaching Sessions (usually bi-monthly or monthly)
- Official Close of Coaching Group Engagement (post-mortem review of progress against goals, ROI review, reflections on the overall coaching group experience, and check-in with manager)
Each round of group coaching has a defined process which includes:
– a reminder of the group norms
– a review of everyone’s coaching goals for the day
– getting peer coaching during your time slot
– identification of actions you will take before the next coaching group session
– session closing activities
The success of Peer Coaching Groups heavily depends on the attendance, commitment, and active participation of all members in the group.
BUYER BEWARE: Things to Consider Before Contracting a Coaching Engagement
Choosing the right coaching partner is a very intimate, personal decision, and SDL will never speak negatively about another company.
However, whether you choose us or another provider, we want to supply you with a few tips to ensure you increase your chances for coaching success:
- Ensure your coaching vendor partner has a variety of coaches on their team. Great chemistry is critical and your coachees should have a choice of options to consider.
- Ensure your coachee has a fierce desire to learn and grow. Coaching should never be forced on an individual, even if they need it. Without commitment and buy-in, coaching will be a frustrating experience for all involved, with little to no return on investment.
- Ensure your company has a true desire to retain and develop the coached individual. If the real agenda is to push the individual out of the company, opt for performance management vs coaching.
- Know that it is common for the focus of coaching engagements to shift over time. An initial development goal may be identified, but as enlightenment occurs, even more critical goals are commonly flushed out.
- Know that coaching is very different from therapy. Coaching focuses on the present and future. Therapy focuses on dealing with past events and mental health disorders. Be sure to choose the right professional for the need.
- Ensure your coach of choice:
- has experience coaching in a similar setting
- has a clear methodology and supporting tools
- has a quality client list
- has the ability to measure ROI
- has a coaching certification or extensive successful coaching experiences
- has administration and operations support on staff
Fees and Payment Options
Coaching fees are usually quoted as a package of coaching sessions or as part of a larger scale coaching project within an organization. However, for budgeting purposes, coaching sessions start at $350/hour. Contact us for a more specific quote for your needs.
Once a coaching contract or coaching project contract is signed, payments may be made by:
- Credit Card: Both corporate and personal credit cards accepted.
- Purchase Order/Invoice: SDL will send an invoice directly to you or your company. If a purchase order or registration in your company’s vendor system is required, please contact us at 770-384-1103 or via email.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch to explore your coaching needs and to get an official price quote for services.
Shockingly Different Leadership is a human capital professional services consultancy that provides organizations access to the best consulting expertise in the areas of Talent Development, Organizational Development, and Human Resources – on an on-demand, project, or contract basis.
4480-H South Cobb Drive
Smyrna, GA 30080
2121 NewMarket Parkway
Marietta, GA 30067
Customer Service Email:
Call or Text:
8:30 AM – 6:30 PM
Weekends By Appointment