Exploring what it takes to transition from an individual contributor into people management.
You have demonstrated greatness in your current role and are now considering whether or not to move up the ladder into managing teams of people. Your former peers may now be your direct reports.
Do you know how to adopt the mindset of a supervisor/manager, let go of your previous role and get work done through others? Can you marry your work priorities and their individual passions to catapult your team’s goals and objectives? Or do you think you would be of most value to your organization to remain an individual contributor?
In this course, we will answer these questions and more, as we help you explore your true career desires and what it takes being an individual contributor leader versus and people leader. This basic training provides participants with knowledge and easy-to-apply tools needed to keep rocking it as an IC leader or make a successful transition a new role as a manager of others.
In less than two days, participants will master:
- Practical basic supervisory/management know-how
- Confidence in their ability to plan, organize, coach, motivate, delegate, and communicate to a team
- Understanding the criteria in which to determine if a career as a supervisor/manager is right for them
- Complete a variety of diagnostic tools to learn their most effective work styles
- Learn basic management concepts, such as coaching, communication, motivation, and delegation
- Practice listening and feedback skills
- Get an overview of delegation techniques and approaches to motivate their direct reports
- Learn how to manage set goals and manage priorities
- Learn how to manage workplace dynamics occurring up, down, and across the organization
- Learn how to balance managing expectations of their boss, subordinates, peers, and clients
- Understand how to become an effective member of the supervisory/management team
- Practice handling real-world case studies of management challenges
- Will better understand what it takes, both practically and emotionally, to successfully manage others.
- Will better understand their new managerial responsibilities
- Will learn how to transition effectively into a new supervisory or management role
- Will learn how to effectively build alliances with boss and peer managers
How to Book Workshop
There are multiple ways to enjoy this 1 1/2 day workshop:
- Bring this workshop to your organization. Contact us to discuss dates and pricing.
- Register Online for an Open-Enrollment Offering (currently not available)
SDL provides two payment options for your convenience:
- Credit Card: You can bill the workshop to a corporate or personal credit card.
- Purchase Order/Invoice: SDL will send a bill directly to you or your company. If a purchase order or registration in your company’s vendor system is required, please contact us at 770-384-1103.
Public Offering Policies
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy
For open-enrollment Classroom, Live Online, and Webinar programs, participants who can no longer attend may transfer to a future session, send someone to take their place or cancel without penalty at any time up to three weeks prior to the session.
If you provide SDL with less than three weeks notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire program fee. Privately offered sessions for organizations are bound by the terms of the separately negotiated Statement of Work.
Seminar Hours and Attire
Q: What time does my workshop begin and end?
A: On the first morning, please arrive at 8:30 am to pick up your registration packet and room assignment. Workshops generally begin at 9:00 am and end at 5:00 pm, except on the last day. On the last day, workshops that run the full day begin at 9:00 am and end at 4:30 pm. Workshops that conclude with half day sessions end at 12:00 pm.
Q: What should I wear?
A: Business casual attire is appropriate. Note: room temperatures may vary so you may want to dress in layers. Travel and Accommodations
Q: Will SDL help me make travel arrangements?
A: SDL partners with leading travel organizations to offer participants special discounts on hotel rooms and car rentals when attending SDL open-enrollment workshops. We provide these to all participants on this site when public offerings are available. Participants will be required to make and pay for the reservations themselves.
We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Therefore, please contact us should you have any additional questions.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch to bring this workshop to your organization
Or be notified of next public offering by completing form below
Shockingly Different Leadership is a talent development and HR project support consultancy. We provide organizations consulting expertise in the areas of Talent Development, Organizational Development, and Human Resources – on an on-demand, project, or flexible basis.
4480-H South Cobb Drive PMB 219
Smyrna, GA 30080
2121 NewMarket Parkway
Marietta, GA 30067
Customer Service Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call or Text: 770-384-1103